Monday, June 30, 2008

New debian tool proposal

Hello,
this is my second post about Debian. I'm lately discovering all the tools for both managing my Debian system and creating packages.
dh_make is the first tool I've used for the "first debianization" (called so by the New maintainers' guide) which creates a basic template for your package.
Anyway after a few packagings I've seen that something redundant could be automatized further.
What I suggest is a tool that does the following stuff after dh_make has been called:
  1. First dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
  2. Check for libraries and binaries and create new packages in debian/control
  3. Find docs in usr/shared and modify the doc-base
  4. Check for .desktop files and .xpm then create menu
  5. Find info and manpages files
  6. Obtain copyright from COPYING/LICENSE and such, authors from AUTHORS and so on
  7. Find ITP on BTS and fill in the bug number in the changelog
  8. Rebuild the project
  9. Check for lintian errors and warnings and try to fix them (such as empty directories, wrong library name, etc.)
I'm sorry if I'm missing any files such as init.d or cron.d but I'm still newbie with packaging and I haven't tried all the stuff yet.
How this tool sounds to you? Would it be useful and easy to make at least for simple autotooled projects?

2 comments:

Service Providers said...

Its very best post thanks for posting.
For Best Painters in Bangalore.Contact us.

Taco Recipes said...

Hello mate nice postt